Tuesday 5 May 2020

Love that lasts the Eternities

Like all Christians right now, my family cannot go to church on Sunday because of meeting restrictions to fight COVID-19. Naturally we have church at home. We have a reverent sacrament. Even my littlest will sit still for this; he gets bread and water. Then, we have a sacrament meeting with the whole family. For Easter we had two talks and lots and lots of musical numbers. My husband gets just as in to giving a talk at home as he does at church. He spent a long time preparing it for us.

My husband was talking about the Savior's Atonement. Not only did Christ suffer for our sins, but he also suffered for the affects of our sins on other people, so those can be made up as well. This is standing out to me: He made up for the sins even as much as they affect the other person or people we sinned against. Otherwise no relationship could last through the eternities because little injustices in even the best relationship would add up over time and be too hurtful to stay together. There would always be these injustices because we just aren't perfect.

Tonight I began thinking, how this must be part of the doctrine for eternal families. I know my Church has the priesthood that can seal a family together forever. But, what I didn't realize is that this doctrine of Christ's Atonement forgiving us of our sins and helping us to forgive others was also part of what makes eternal families possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment